FIRST AID POLICY
To ensure the school community understands our school’s approach to first aid for students.
First aid for anaphylaxis and asthma are provided for in our school’s:
· Anaphylaxis Policy
· Asthma Policy
From time to time Chum Creek Primary School staff might need to administer first aid to students at school or school activities.
Parents/carers should be aware that the goal of first aid is not to diagnose or treat a condition.
The principal will ensure that Chum Creek Primary School has sufficient staff with the appropriate levels of first aid training to meet the first aid needs of the school community.
All Chum Creek Primary School’s teaching staff are trained first aid officers.
First aid kits
Chum Creek Primary School will maintain:
· A major first aid kit which will be stored in the Sick Bay.
· One portable first aid kit which may be used for excursions, camps, or yard duty. The portable first aid kit/s will be stored in the Sick Bay.
Office Manager/available staff (as directed) will be responsible for maintaining all first aid kits.
Care for ill students
Students who are unwell should not attend school.
If a student becomes unwell during the school day they may be directed to the Office or Principal and monitored by staff. Depending on the nature of their symptoms, staff may contact parents/carers or an emergency contact person to ask them to collect the student.
First aid management
If there is a situation or incident which occurs at school or a school activity which requires first aid to be administered to a student:
· Staff who have been trained in first aid will administer first aid in accordance with their training. In an emergency situation, other staff may assist in the administration of first aid within their level of competence.
· In a medical emergency, staff may take emergency action and do not need to obtain parent/carer consent to do so. Staff may contact Triple Zero “000” for emergency medical services at any time.
· Staff may also contact NURSE-ON-CALL (on 1300 60 60 24) in an emergency. NURSE-ON-CALL provides immediate, expert health advice from a registered nurse and is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
· If first aid is administered for a minor injury or condition, Chum Creek Primary School will notify parents/carers by sending a note home to parents/carers as well as a phone call. Parents of all children who receive first aid will receive a completed form indicating the nature of the injury, any treatment given, and the name of the teacher providing the first aid. For more serious injuries/illnesses, the parents/guardians must be contacted by the administration staff so that professional treatment may be organised. Any injuries to a child’s head, face, neck or back must be reported to parents/guardian.
· If first aid is administered for a serious injury or condition, or in an emergency situation, school staff will attempt to contact parents/carers or emergency contacts as soon as reasonably practical.
· If staff providing first aid determine that an emergency response is not required but that medical advice is needed, school staff will ask parents/carers, or an emergency contact person, to collect the student and recommend that advice is sought from a medical practitioner.
· Whenever first aid treatment has been administered to a student Chum Creek Primary School will:
o record the incident on CASES21
o if first aid was administered in a medical emergency, report the incident to the Department’s Security Services Unit on 03 9859 6266.
In accordance with guidance from the Department of Education and Training, analgesics, including paracetamol and aspirin, will not be stored at school or provided as a standard first aid treatments. This is because they can mask signs of serious illness or injury.
Further information and resources
- Anaphylaxis Policy
- Asthma Policy
Policy REVIEW and Approval
Policy last reviewed
Next scheduled review date