The purpose of this policy is to outline the values of our school community and explain the vision, mission and objectives of our school.
Chum Creek Primary School is committed to providing a safe, supportive and inclusive environment for all students, staff and members of our community. Our school recognises the importance of the partnership between our school and parents and carers to support student learning, engagement and wellbeing. We share a commitment to, and a responsibility for, creating an inclusive and safe school environment for our students.
The programs and teaching at Chum Creek Primary School support and promote the principles and practice of Australian democracy, including a commitment to:
· elected government
· the rule of law
· equal rights for all before the law
· freedom of religion
· freedom of speech and association
· the values of openness and tolerance.
This policy outlines our school’s vision, mission, objective, values and expectations of our school community. This policy is available on our school website and student enrolment packs.
To celebrate and embed our Statement of Values and Philosophy in our school community, we
· display posters and banners that promote our values in our school
· celebrate our values in our school newsletter
· provide awards and recognition for students who actively demonstrate the values
· discuss our values with students in the classroom, meetings and assemblies.
Chum Creek Primary School’s vision is to empower students to reach their personal best.
Chum Creek Primary School’s mission is to provide students with the best possible foundation in life through a well-rounded education.
Chum Creek Primary School’s objective is to encourage every child to reach their academic and social potential. We do this by providing an inclusive learning environment. At Chum Creek Primary School we believe that education is a partnership between teachers, families and the wider community. We work together to ensure all students feel safe and experience success.
Chum Creek’s values are the 3R’s: Respect, Resilience and Ready To Learn.
We respect ourselves, our school and each another, and understand that our attitudes and behaviours have an impact on the people around us.
We are resilient culturally, personally and reactively and we demonstrate kindness, taking every opportunity to help others that may be in need.
We are ready to learn.
Chum Creek Primary School acknowledges that the behaviour of staff, parents, carers and students has an impact on our school community and culture. We acknowledge a shared responsibility to create a positive learning environment for the children and young people at our school.
As principals and school leaders, we will:
As teachers and non-teaching school staff, we will:
· model positive behaviour to students consistent with the standards of our profession
· proactively engage with parents about student outcomes
· work with parents to understand the needs of each student and, where necessary, adapt the learning environment accordingly
· work collaboratively with parents to improve learning and wellbeing outcomes for students with additional needs
· communicate with the principal and school leaders in the event we anticipate or face any tension or challenging behaviours from parents
· treat all members of the school community with respect.
As parents and carers, we will:
· model positive behaviour to our child
· ensure our child attends school on time, every day the school is open for instruction
· take an interest in our child’s school and learning
· work with the school to achieve the best outcomes for our child
· communicate constructively with the school and use expected processes and protocols when raising concerns
· support school staff to maintain a safe learning environment for all students
· follow the school’s processes for communication with staff and making complaints
· treat all school leaders, staff, students, and other members of the school community with respect.
As students, we will:
· model positive behaviour to other students
· model school values
· behave in a safe and responsible manner
· respect ourselves, other members of the school community and the school environment.
· actively participate in school
· not disrupt the learning of others and make the most of our educational opportunities.
As community members, we will:
· model positive behaviour to the school community
· treat other members of the school community with respect
· support school staff to maintain a safe and inclusive learning environment for all students
Schools are not public places, and the Principal has the right to permit or deny entry to school grounds.
Unreasonable behaviour that is demonstrated by school staff, parents, carers, students or members of our school community will not be tolerated at school, or during school activities.
Unreasonable behaviour includes:
· speaking or behaving in a rude, manipulative, aggressive or threatening way, either in person, via electronic communication or social media, or over the telephone
· the use or threat of violence of any kind, including physically intimidating behaviour such as aggressive hand gestures or invading another person’s personal space
· sending demanding, rude, confronting or threatening letters, emails or text messages
· sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic or derogatory comments
· the use of social media or public forums to make inappropriate or threatening remarks about the school, staff or students.
Harassment, bullying, violence, aggression, threatening behaviour and unlawful discrimination are unacceptable and will not be tolerated at our school.
Unreasonable behaviour and/or failure to uphold the principles of this Statement of Values and School Philosophy may lead to further investigation and the implementation of appropriate consequences by the school Principal.
At the Principal’s discretion, unreasonable behaviour may be managed by:
· requesting that the parties attend a mediation or counselling sessions
· implementing specific communication protocols
· written warnings
· conditions of entry to school grounds or school activities
· exclusion from school grounds or attendance at school activities
· reports to Victoria Police
· legal action
Inappropriate student behaviour will be managed in according with our school’s Student Wellbeing and Engagement Policy and Bullying Prevention Policy.
Our Statement of Values and School Philosophy ensures that everyone in our school community will be treated with fairness and respect. In turn, we will strive to create a school that is inclusive and safe, where everyone is empowered to participate and learn.
Student Wellbeing and Engagement Policy.
Policy last reviewed
Next scheduled review date